Well this is it.
This Sunday morning you’ll be putting all of your training and hard work to the test. Whether you are taking on the Ramsay Health Care 4km event or hitting the 14km challenge in the HBF Run for a Reason, on behalf of Conan Fitness we’d like to thank you for supporting the event and for all your participation at the Langley Park training sessions. We’d also like to wish you all the very best for the run and would love to hear how you went after the event.
To get the best performance possible on the day we have a few tips and hints below for the event day preparation.
A few things to remember:
- Eat well in the days leading up to the event. Consume more unprocessed carbohydrates to load the muscles with fuel for the run, especially the day before.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get up early. You want to be well and truly out of sleep mode by the start of the race.
- Test out your pre-race breakfast before race day. In other words, don’t try anything new on the day and that includes drinks, gels, shoes and clothes. Stick with what you are familiar with.
- Warm up thoroughly before the event. We will be helping with this on the day but it is still your responsibility to make sure your body is warm and your energy systems are firing before starting, otherwise you will play catch-up with breathing and heart rate for the first few kilometres.
- Go to the toilet before the run, otherwise your warm up will be wasted standing in the queue for the toilet.
- Inevitably, there will be the starting line rush, it always happens, the excitement and adrenalin gets everyone racing off from the start. Don’t get caught in it, run your own race. Remember to pace yourself. You should know your rough running speeds by now and it is easy to get caught up in someone else’s run, judge pace by how you feel and not by the person next to you.
- Finally, have fun. That’s why they call it a fun run!
We wish you all the best, and will see you at the finish line
The Conan Fitness Team