In a nutshell, what is fitness? it is when someone is active, feels energised, has glowing skin, doesn’t feel any fatigue, and has a positive outlook in life, he is fit. This is what fitness is, it’s about being healthy in both physical and mental. John F. Kennedy said, “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.” With that being said, physical fitness equates to being mentally fit as well.
According to the United Healthcare, Fitness can be described as a condition that helps us look, feel and do our best. That means being able to rely on your body to perform when you need it to, whether it be doing daily household tasks, enjoying a brisk walk on a beautiful fall day, running a race or bench pressing your own body weight. Only you can set your fitness goals.
The President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports outlines five basic components to physical fitness:
- Heart and lung endurance – The ability to deliver oxygen and nutrients to tissues and to remove wastes throughout sustained periods of time. Long runs and swims are among the methods employed in measuring this component.
- Muscular strength – The ability of a muscle to exert force for a brief period of time. Upper-body strength, for example, can be measured by various weight-lifting exercises.
- Muscular endurance – The ability of a muscle, or a group of muscles, to sustain repeated contractions or to continue applying force against a fixed object. Push-ups are often used to test endurance of arm and shoulder muscles.
- Flexibility – The ability to move joints and use muscles through their full range of motion. The sit-and-reach test is a good measure of flexibility of the lower back and backs of the upper legs.
- Body composition – Often considered a component of fitness. It refers to the makeup of the body in terms of lean mass (muscle, bone, vital tissue and organs) and fat mass. A particular ratio of fat to lean mass is an indication of fitness, and the right types of exercise will help you decrease body fat and increase or maintain muscle mass.
When you are opting for a physical program in the gym, or you wanted to have gym membership to be able to be physically fit, you have to incorporate different exercises that tackle the components physical fitness (which we discuss in future posts) This is to ensure that you begin to feel the changes in your body after about a week of consistent training and nutrition.
The Conan Fitness 14 Week Challenge incorporates, strength training, cardiovascular training, mobility, and nutrition in one complete package and is suitable to ALL fitness levels, from beginners to advanced people who are looking for a programme to follow and get them to their goals.